Service Selection Board – SSB Interview Procedure
5 Day Programs :
The candidates are called through “Call Letters” to appear in 5 days Tests at SSB ( Allahabad / Bhopal / Bangalore / Mysore / Varanasi / Dehradun ).
4 Categories of SSB Tests :
1. Screening Test
2. Psychological Test
3. Group Testing Officers ( GTO ) Test
Screening Test ( First Day )
After the individual has filled in certain Forms and also the Bio Data forms known as “Personal Information Questionnaire” ( PIQ ), the candidates will undergo two types of tests as under.
1. Verbal and Non-Verbal Tests.
2. Picture Story Writing followed by Discussion of the Stories.
Once the Screening Test is over, the results are declared within 1 hour of the completion of the test. Those who clear the test are required to stay back for the next 4 days and the remaining persons are dropped back at the Railway Station for their return journey.
Psychological Test ( Second day )
These tests are in four parts as under :
- Thematic Apperception Test ( TAT ) – Commonly known as Picture Story writing.
- Word Association Test ( WAT )
- Situation Reaction Test ( SRT )
- Self Description Test ( SD )
Group Testing Officers ( GTO ) Test ( Third and Fourth day )
The following tests are conducted in this category :
- Group discussion
- Group Planning Exercise ( sometimes known as Military Planning Exercise )
- Progressive Group Tasks
- Half Group Tasks
- Individual Obstacles
- Group Obstacles Race
- Command Task
- Final Group Task
Interview : ( Held during afternoon / evening hours on 2nd / 3rd / 4th day )
Note : Brief details of these tests will be covered subsequently.
Board Meeting ( Fifth day )
The candidates are required to appear before the complete Board of Examiners comprising of President, Dy President, all the psychologists, all the GTO’s and Technical Officer. After the Board Meeting is over, the final result is declared within ½ an hour.
Selected candidates are required to stay back for their medical examination ( takes about 3 to 5 days ) in the Military Hospital nearby or at a different place and the remaining candidates are dropped at the Railway Station for their return journey.
- Candidates appearing for the first time for a particular type of entry are paid 2nd class return journey fare from the place of their residence to the place where they have come for the interview.
- Accomodation and messing are free for the entire duration of their stay while under going SSB Tests.
- The Air Force candidates are required to go to a different place for medical examination on the specified date.
- Air Force candidates who had applied for ‘Pilot Entry’ have to first appear in ‘Pilot Aptitude Battery Test ( PABT )’. Those who are rejected in P.A.B.T cannot re-appear in Service Selection Board test subsequently.