Physical / Medical Standards for SSB Interview
1. Candidates must be physically fit according to the prescribed physical Standards. Board guidelines are given below.
2. Height – Minimum acceptable height is 157.5 cm (162.5 cm for Flying branch-Airforce), otherwise as per laid down Age-Height-Weight standard chart, 10% departure permitted for Gorkhas, individuals belonging to hills of North-Eastern Region of India, Garhwal and Kumaon the minimum acceptable height will be 5 cms less.
For women minimum height and weight are 142 cms and 36 Kgs respectively.
3. Weight – As per Height–Weight-Age Standard chart,18 years old boy must have minimum of 44Kgs with 152.5 cm height;similarly an youth of 22 years age with 77 Kg Weight should have 193 cms height.
4. Chest – Chest should be well developed. The minimum range of expansion after full inspiration should be 5cms. X-ray of chest is compulsory.
5. Bones – No diseases of bones and joints of the body.
6. Mental fitness – No past history of mental break down / fits.
7. Hearing – Should be normal should be able to hear a forced whisper with each ear at a distance of 610 cms in a QUIET room.
8. Heart & Blood Vessel- No sign of functional or organic disease of the heart and blood vessel, Blood pressure should be normal.
9. Abedomen – Be well developed and no enlargement of liver or spleen.
10. Hernia – Un-operated Hernia will make a candidate unfit.
11. Hydrocycle, Varicocele or piles- Only after proper treatment/operation done at least six months prior to present examination.
12. Urine- Any abnormality in urine examination if detected will be cause for rejection.
13. Skin- Any disease not accepted.
- For Flying Branch (IAF)-Distant Vision 6/6 without glasses.
- For others- Distant Vision 6/6 with or without glasses.
15. Myopia- Shouldn’t be more than 3.5 D, including Astigmatism.
16. Color Vision- Standard will be CP-3. A Candidate should be able to recognize RED and GREEN colors.
17. Miscellaneous- There are minor variations for Air Force candidates for Ground duties, Fighter Controller Duties, Adm / Acct / Lgs branches, Flying pilot Branch and women candidates.
18. Teeth – A minimum of 14 Dental points acceptable when 32 teeth are present.
19. Candidate should not suffer from severe PYORRHOEA.
Physical Conditioning :
20. Prospective candidates are advised to keep themselves in good physical condition by following the under mentioned regimen daily :
- Jogging 3 to 5 kms interspersed with short sprints
- Push ups and sit up’s (minimum 20 each)
- Chin ups ( minimum 8 )
- Learn the art of swimming (Non-swimmers will be taught at the training Academy respectively)
21. Play as many games like Football, Hockey, Cricket, Basket ball, Kabaddi etc as possible. Body contact games are preferable.