Ten Golden Tips to Top in SSB Interviews – Page 2
The SSB Interview is intended to judge the mental caliber, attitude and outlook of the candidate along with his leadership qualities and character traits. Thus, it would be an assessment not merely of his Academic proficiency and intellectual qualities but also of his social traits and interest in current events. Some of the qualities to be judged can be listed as,
- Mental alertness
- Critical powers of assimilation
- Balance of judgement
- Clear and logical exposition
- Variety and depth of interests
- Ability for social cohesion and leadership
- Intellectual and moral integrity.
The Aim of the SSB Interviews :
The IO ( Interviewing Officer ), at the SSB, tries to assess the leadership of Officer like qualities of the candidate by means of the direct or purposive conversation during the interview. He also tries to evaluate the training potentialities of the candidate. The questions at the interview will be so directed as the candidate may automatically emit enough light on his leadership ability in his answers.
Two important factors of the Interview which play a decisive role are the candidate’s Knowledge and his power of Expression. He should be able to speak fluently and express him-self clearly, will score high marks. While answering the candidate should take the lead and cover as much as possible. In other words, simply saying “Yes” or “No” to a question will not suffice. The candidate should explain convincingly why he agrees or disagrees to a given proposition. He must logically and forcefully substantiate his views with valid arguments.
At the SSB Interview they lay much emphasis on qualities or leadership and not merely on academic or textual knowledge. The candidate should therefore, know what the various qualities of leadership are, and how they could be highlighted by him during the interview.
Leadership Qualities :
The board takes note of the following qualities, when it tries to assess the leadership ability of the candidate, as the same have been generally accepted as leadership attributes :
Intellectual Attainments :
The extent of knowledge in different subjects. The depth of knowledge – How deeply the candidate has studied a subject of his choice of interest? Practical Knowledge How the candidate has applied his theoretical knowledge in practical situations or how best he can solve problems. To find out this questions put forth ( Example ) may be :
- What will you do, when you find after boarding the bus that you had forgotten to bring the money purse with you? How will you organize a Picnic?
- What will you do if you were not selected at this interview?
- General Knowledge – Current Affairs, Everyday Science, Burning Topics, Sports, Newspaper headlines, etc. Grasp – How quickly the candidate understands the question or the subject?
Power of Expression :
- Fluency – No stammering, gape, etc,
- Forceful – Lively, enthusiastic and arresting. No monotonous or dragging voice. Not speaking very fast. No affectations.
- Logic in argument – Rational, clearheaded, analytical, systematic, proceeding step buy step and no contradictions.
- Practical approach- Realistic and sensible, use of commonsense, alive to facts and existing limitations.
- Convincing Ability – Speaking with sincerity and faith.
Personal Traits :
- Cheerful, pleasant and smiling disposition.
- Liveliness – Eager, alert, inspired by urge, fired with ambition.
- Enthusiasm, keenness and interest.
- Dress and Turnout – Smart, clean and suited to the occasion.
- Poise – Graceful movements. Confident approach, straight walk.