Pay and Perks Commissioned Officers
What do I benefit from joining the Forces, in terms of pay and perks?
Commissioned Officers Attractive Pay Scale : The present pay scales are as follows :
|Rank||Pay Scale (Basic)||Rank pay|
|Lieutenant / Flying Officer / Sub Lieutenant||8250-300-10050||Nil|
|Captain / Flt Lt / Lieutenant||9600-300-11400||400|
|Major / Sqn Ldr / Lt Commander||11000-325-14850||1200|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Wing Cdr / Commander||13500-400-17100||1600 (Promoted on completion of 13 years of service)|
|Colonel / Gp Captain / Captain||15100-400-17100||2000 ( Promotion By Selection)|
|Brigadier / Air Commodore / Commodore||16700-4350-18050||2400|
|Major General / Air Vice Marshal / Rear Admiral||18400-500-22400||Nil|
|Lt General / Air Marshal / Vice Admiral||22400-525-24500||Nil|
|Chief of Army Staff / Air Chief Marshal / Admiral||30000 (Fixed)||Nil|
Commissioned Officers Allowances :
In addition to the pay as given above, the following allowances are admissible to Officers depending on their places of posting and their qualifications.
Dearness Allowance for Commissioned Officers : This varies from time to time, presently it is 59 % of basic pay.
Flying Pay for Commissioned Officers :
The pilots in all the three forces, the navigators in the Air force and Signalers and Engineers in the Indian Air force are entitled to Flying allowance. This depends upon the their rank Ranges from 900 to 7000 per month.
- Technical pay
- Specialist Pay
- City Compensatory Allowance : As admissible to Civilian Gazetted Officers from time to time.
- Field Area Allowance : This is at rate of 1050 to 2000 per month.
- Modified Field Area Allowance : this is at the rate of 400/- to 500 per month.
- High Altitude allowance / Uncongenial Climate Allowance : In addition to the compensatory Field Area Allowance Officer posted to areas situated at a height of 9000 feet and above get upto 800/- per month.
- Outfit Allowance : The initial outfit allowance is 6,000. This is renewed as renewal outfit allowance at the rate of 6000/- every 7th year.
- Kit maintenance Allowance : To maintain your smart uniform you get KMA at the rate of 200/- per month.
- Siachen Allowance : the Siachen Allowance at the rate of 7000/- per month is admissible to officers in addition to the Compensatory Field Area Allowance.
Perks and other Privileges :
- Free Rations For all ranks.
- Furnished Accommodation and allied facilities of concessional Rates.
- Free medical Facilities for Self and Family members.
- CSD canteen Facilities.
- Group Housing Scheme.
- Soft Loans for purchase of car/ scooter / Computer and House building.
- Schooling and Transport for Children- Kendriya Vidhyala and Army Public Schools. Concession given for students of Sainik schools. Military schools and RIMC.
- Officer mess facilities.
- Liberal Study leave Benefits upto Two years fully Paid.
- 60 Days of Annual leave fully paid
- 20 Days of Casual leave for Officers and 30days of C/L for Other ranks.
- Free travel for self and Family by Rajdhani /other mail / express train. once in a period of two years.
- 50% Concession on traveling expense met by the individual during C/L
- 50% Concession on Indian Airlines for domestic travel for self and members of the family.
- On deputation to Home ministry / Foreign Countries, the individual is given allowances as per their rank and pay structure.
- A closer look at what a lieutenant gets after posting to a Unit.
- Basic Pay 8,250
- Rank pay applicable for the rank of Captain and above : 400 to 2400.
- Dearness Allowance 57 % of basic Pay.
- Kit maintenance Allowance 200/- per month.
- City Compensatory Allowance 120- to 300 depending upon the city.
- Transport Allowance 400 to 800 Depending upon the city.
- Out fit Allowance 6000 (Renewal after every 7 Years).
- Field Area Allowance 800 to 3,390 Depending upon the area posted.
- If Posted in Glacier 7000 per month.
- Gallantry Award Allowance on getting a gallantry award 250 to 1,500 per month.
- Technical Allowance for specified courses 1000 to 1500 per month.
- Qualification Grant 3000 to 10,000.
- UN Mission – Regular pay + approximately 50,000 to 80,000 per month.
The biggest benefit for all central government employees is that of Pension a Solider is entitled to Pension, even if he retires after 17 years of Colour Service and an officer starts earning his pension after 20 years of service in uniform. This is about 50 % of the average monthly pay (of the last 10 months of pay earned.) plus Dearness allowances as applicable.
Group Insurance Scheme :
This is available right from the training period. Up to 8 lacs coverage is available on a very low monthly premium. During training period coverage up to 2 lacs is available for cadets.
Adventure Activities :
Armed Forces encourage all incumbent to take part in various sports and adventures activities. From Foot ball Boxing. From River rafting to Sky Diving you name it is there in the Armed Forces. Your serve the Nation just for 20 years and the Country serves you till your death. Is that not a good bargain?
Degrees at the cost of Govt :
- On completion of NDA/ACC Training : B.A/ B.Sc.,
- On completion of DSSC, M.Sc.,
- On completion of 10 +2 Tech Entry B.Tech Engineering Degree.
- Study leave to study any Post graduate degree (Fully paid).
- A few officers get a chance to go abroad and study advanced courses.
- On completion of Courses like Junior Command and Senior Command Higher Command you get PG Diploma.